Sunday, June 7, 2015

Samuel, your free trial has come to a close

It's been one long, wonderful quarrel my bo
As you ironed your shirt for Thursday evening's graduation ceremony, you had quite a lot to report regarding my academic aimlessness. Indeed, we can't afford my confusion. But I persist in my patternless pursuits, because... Because. Read on.

You chose this quote by Ayn Rand for to accompany your senior portrait: "Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice." In semi-contrast, Allison Chan -- whose portrait sits directly beneath yours in the yearbook -- quoted Proverbs 19:21: "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." Rand's point rests on self-centeredness and indomitable will, while the proverb preaches self-awareness: the image-bearer's submission and relative position to God. What's your stance?

Try both ways of living, and decide. As you have done, share your rigid ambition with me, and I will likewise dispense serendipity. In yet another year brimming with opportunity, let us "commit to the Lord whatever [we] do, and he will establish [our] plans" (Proverbs 16:3). Input, output -- how sublime a resolution of the philosophies and truths we find irreconcilable.   

No comments:

Post a Comment